Join an innovative program that has real and immediate impact!
Yes She Can Inc. is a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping young women with autism spectrum disorders and related social and learning disabilities develop transferable job skills and increase independence. Our innovative job skills development program is implemented at a retail store operated by Yes She Can: Girl AGain, a resale boutique for American Girl dolls, located in White Plains, NY.
Yes She Can trainees participate in the program with the support of work skills coaches who are responsible for helping our trainees learn and perform their work duties while teaching problem-solving skills, workplace social skills and emotional regulation. Trainees are women ages 18-28 who are interested in pursuing employment.
The role of the work skills coach is to help trainees develop the skills needed to be able to work independently in a job.
- With Training Program Director, assess the needs of each trainee, and establish her goals for the program.
- Understand and support the social, emotional and cognitive issues of the trainees and help them achieve their program goals.
- Learn all of the store operations and tasks in order to be able to teach and support trainees in executing those tasks and business processes. This includes use of spreadsheets, text documents, internet research, and sales transactions.
- Oversee the trainees in performing job tasks, assess their work and provide feedback.
- Coaching each trainee in 1:1 or in small groups at Girl AGain.
- Work collaboratively with volunteer job coaches, volunteer peer mentors, and store manager.
- Be aware of and report any health and safety issues involving trainees.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings and monthly trainee meetings (scheduled in late afternoons or early evenings).
- With director and other coaches, conduct quarterly assessments of each trainee.
- Communicate with participants’ parents and staff from other programs as needed.
- Represent Yes She Can Inc. in a professional manner to participants, staff, volunteers, the public, Girl AGain customers, government agencies and other organizations.
- Support fundraising campaigns and events.
This is not an all-inclusive list of responsibilities. Work is performed at Girl AGain boutique in White Plains, NY. Job Skills Coaches may work in the store independently. Position reports to Yes She Can Director of Training Programs.
Hours and Compensation: This is a paid part-time staff position, minimum commitment of 15 hours per week. This position has the potential to expand to full time. Compensation commensurate with experience.
Requirements: Candidate should have education and a degree in one of the following areas: social work, psychology, special education, workforce development; master’s level or doctorate level degrees are preferred. In addition, candidate should have experience working with teens or adults with autism spectrum disorders. Candidate must be fluent in English, have good communications skills, and ability to work in a dynamic and fluid environment.
Yes She Can is a 501c3 nonprofit organization and an equal opportunity employer. A background check is required for employment.
To apply: send a cover letter describing how your experience and skills will meet the goals of the job. Include your resume and send to email@example.com