Yes She Can recognizes that individuals with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) and related social and learning disabilities have unique challenges that hinder their participation in the workforce. Conventional internships are not sufficient to provide the teaching methods and 1-1 coaching as well as the social and emotional support they need to gain skills necessary to function in a job.
Yes She Can offers an individualized training program specifically designed for individuals with ASD and related disabilities to develop transferable job skills preparing them for employment and increased independence. The program is delivered by business managers, psychologists, social workers and teachers at Girl AGain, a resale boutique for American Girl dolls in White Plains, NY.
Profile of participants
Participants are young women with ASD or related diagnoses who are in their transition phase of public school, or who are attending college, or who wish to pursue employment through self-determination. Our participants have participated in supported inclusion programs in school and in leisure. While they are motivated to develop job skills, our participants would not succeed in mainstream employment readiness options.
- Direct involvement in store operations including merchandising, marketing, and customer service.
- On-the-job training in business processes including research and information analysis, data- entry, written communication, customer interactions, peer collaboration, employee-manager relations, and more.
- Focus on executive functioning, problem-solving, decision-making, discretion and judgement, flexibility and adaptability to change, taking initiative, being accountable and responsible.
- Direct instruction and immersive learning in workplace social skills and behaviors
- Professional coaching for emotional regulation, self-advocacy and independence.
- Experience in an authentic work environment
- Perform a variety of job skills needed in competitive employment
- Increase in workplace social skills and communication skills needed in a job
- Ability to articulate her own support needs on the job
Program sessions and fees
- Spring Semester Program
- January 7 – April 30, 2018. 15-week session. Each class is 2 hours.
- Fee: One class per week – $540; Two per week – $1080; Three per week – $1620
- Transition Classes for Self Direction Clients
- 9-week session. Each class is 2 hours
- Fee: One class per week – $324; Two per week -$648; Three per week – $972
- Location: Girl AGain boutique, 4 Martine Ave. White Plains, NY 10606
Intake and enrollment
- Completion of application including relevant educational records and evaluations
- Call with school program administrator or service agency
- Personal interview
Contact: Lesli Cattan, Director of Training Programs. Lesli@YesSheCanInc.org
Great job! Thanks for sharing this information!