What does it take to be ready for work?
To be able to complete the assignments your manager has assigned you, effectively and efficiently, you need to be able to ask questions, research possible solutions, make recommendations, collaborate with peers, ask for help, interact with supervisors, accept critical feedback, shift from one priority to another, adapt to unexpected changes, cope with frustration, and much more.
Regardless of academic success, most people with ASD struggle with these skills. It’s unlikely that they have been taught in school. The best way to gain these crucial skills is in an immersive setting with coaches that can expertly guide trainees.
Yes She Can recognizes that individuals with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) and related social and learning disabilities have unique challenges that hinder their participation in the workforce. Conventional internships are not sufficient to provide the teaching methods and coaching as well as the social and emotional support they need to gain skills necessary to function in a job.
Get the skills you need. Enroll in Yes She Can’s Transition to Work Program
Yes She Can offers an individualized training program specifically designed for individuals with ASD and related disabilities to develop transferable job skills preparing them for employment and increased independence. The program is delivered by business managers, psychologists, social workers and teachers at Girl AGain, a resale boutique for American Girl dolls in White Plains, NY.
Profile of participants
Young women with ASD or related social or learning disabilities who are:
- High school students with IEPs who are pursuing job readiness, or
- College students or graduates who need to develop work skills
- Young women who wish to pursue employment through self-determination.
Our participants have had success in inclusion programs in school and in leisure. While they are motivated to develop job skills, our participants need more direct support than traditional internships offer.
You can “meet” some of our participants here.
- Direct involvement in store operations including merchandising, marketing, and customer service.
- On-the-job training in business processes including research and information analysis, data- entry, written communication, customer interactions, peer collaboration, employee-manager relations, and more.
- Focus on executive functioning, problem-solving, decision-making, discretion and judgement, flexibility and adaptability to change, taking initiative, being accountable and responsible.
- Direct instruction and immersive learning in workplace social skills and behaviors
- Professional coaching for emotional regulation, self-advocacy and independence.
Our coaches are social workers and psychologists with expertise in autism and learning disabilities. Experienced business managers provide business direction and set expectations for success at work.
Each participant is assessed upon joining the program and then after each session to measure progress in 4 categories.
Most trainees participate in the program for 3-5 sessions to gain the skills they need.
- Experience in an authentic work environment
- Perform a variety of job skills needed in competitive employment
- Increase in workplace social skills and communication skills needed in a job
- Plan for post training and path to employment
- Ability to articulate her own support needs on the job
Program sessions and fees
- Fall Semester Program
- September – December 15-week session. Work period is 2 hours. (Option for 3 hours.)
- Fee: One class per week – $540; Two per week – $1080; Three per week – $1620
- Transition Classes for Self Direction Clients (meets requirements for OPWDD reimbursement)
- 9-week session. Each work period is 2 hours
- Fee: One class per week – $324; Two classes per week -$648; Three per week – $972
- Location: Girl AGain boutique, 10 Church Street White Plains, NY 10601
Intake and enrollment
- Completion of application including relevant educational records and evaluations
- Call with school program administrator or service agency
- Personal interview
Contact: Lesli Cattan, Director of Training Programs. Lesli