Get ready for the world of work
Teens and young adults with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) and related social and learning disabilities have unique challenges that hinder their participation in the workforce. Conventional internships are not designed to provide the teaching methods and intensive coaching as well as the social and emotional support they need to gain skills necessary to function well in a job.
Summer with a purpose
Yes She Can offers a summer intensive training program specifically designed for individuals with ASD and related disabilities to prepare them for employment and increased independence. The program is delivered by business managers, psychologists, social workers and teachers at Girl AGain, a resale boutique for American Girl dolls in White Plains, NY.
- Immersive experience lead by business and clinical professionals supporting trainees in direct involvement in store operations.
- On-the-job training in business processes including research and information analysis, data- entry, written communication, customer interactions, peer collaboration, employee-manager relations, and more.
- Focus on executive functioning, problem-solving, decision-making, judgement, flexibility and adaptability to change, taking initiative, being accountable and responsible.
- Coaching in workplace social skills and behaviors, emotional regulation, self-advocacy and independence.
- Comprehensive assessment (pre and post assessments completed)
- Trainee attends either morning or afternoon training sessions with optional community-based social activity 1x/week
- Gain experience working in an authentic work environment
- Learn and practice a variety of job skills needed in competitive employment
- Increase workplace social skills and communication skills needed in a job
- Develop social connections with same-aged peers
- Ability to articulate her own support needs on the job
Program sessions, fee, and location
- July 9th, 2018 – August 24th, 2018 (3, 4 and 5 day options including once/week social activity)
- $756 – $1890 depending on days/week
- Meets classification for Self Direction Transition Classes
- Morning (10am – 1pm) or afternoon (1pm – 3pm) sessions available
- Location: Girl AGain Boutique, 4 Martine Ave. (store 2B) White Plains, NY 10606
Intake and enrollment
- Completion of application including relevant educational records and evaluations
- Contact with school program administrator or service agency
- Personal interview
How to apply
contact: Lesli Cattan, Director of Training Programs. Lesli@YesSheCanInc.org
About Yes She Can: Yes She Can is a 501c3 nonprofit organization founded in 2013 by Marjorie Madfis, a business professional and mother of a young woman with ASD. Learn more at YesSheCanInc.